The forerunner of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences was an Institute of Health for higher education which trained experts in medical sciences in a four year period. This university was initially under the auspices of Shiraz University – Pahlavi University in the former regime.
The Institute of Health for higher education developed into Medical Faculty in 1950. In 1954, Namazi Higher Institute for Nursing and in 1970 the Faculty of Dentistry was added to medical sciences at Shiraz University.
In 1986 education of medical sciences was taken over by the Ministry of Health, Treatment and Medical Education. This was to make use of the medical resources in the country more desirably and also to promote health, treatment, teaching and research more directly. With its new name –Shiraz University of Medical Sciences– the university commenced its activities in 1986.
In 1994 with the inclusion of regional organizations for Health in the University of Medical Sciences, this university was named the University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, Fars Province.
Presently, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences and Health Services is one of the largest and most reliable universities in Iran and the Middle East. A summary of the university’s activities in education, research and health services is presented in this prospectus.
Table 2- 1 : Schools of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences